Friday, March 5, 2010

Not in this century


Having spent the day looking through employment websites, I guess it's time to admit "out loud" that I have few marketable skills in the 21st century. If you asked me what my skills are, you'd see what I mean.
Let's see......I can weave baskets. I make my own soap. I spin wool and flax into yarn and linen thread. I can cook and bake over an open fire or in a beehive oven. I can hand sew complete outfits. I can make a custom fitting corset. I can garden and "put up" fruits and veggies to use in the winter. I can work in the summer wearing a shift, 3 petticoats, a corset and a long sleeved dress. (And you bet your bum it's hot!) I can do laundry by hand (the soap comes in handy there). I can melt tallow or beeswax and make my own candles.
Definitely not 21st century skills.
In the olden days, the aforementioned skills were commonplace. Women like me would have been a dime a dozen. Nowadays, you're lucky if you can find a woman who knows what a kitchen is for!
So, therein lies the challenge. How does one parlay such skills into a money making proposition?

1 comment:

  1. I think you should start a business for these skills. People love nostalgia. Go wireless too! Sell online! Those baskets are beautiful and look great as decor.

    ReplyDelete